Two days from now, I’ll be running my second marathon, the Rocket City Marathon, in Huntsville, AL. As you know, I ran my first at Disney just this past January. A life changing experience, the WDW marathon has given me a lifetime of memories and knowledge about what I can do if I assert myself.
- Weight. I’ve lost 27.5 pounds (from 231.5 to 204) and feel incredible. My running has improved and I KNOW this will assist my racing and recovery. Eating a healthier diet has been paramount to this growth and I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Megan (the Vegan Running Mom) for helping me wean myself from dairy and meat (I’m not totally off them yet, but my consumption of those two items has decreased exponentially, and my weight has come off because of it)
- Rest. Before the WDW race, I had toured the parks for a full 2.5 days before trying to rest the night before the marathon. My endurance suffered from walking miles a day and standing in lines for hours. This time, I’ve had plenty of rest and recovery during my taper.
- Training. My training for WDW was “just finish.” The training for this race has been specific for a time goal and for growth and improvement as a runner. This has made a world of difference in my attitude and conditioning. Again, thanks to Megan for being my coach.
- Experience. Another year of running, with its successes and failures has taught me great lessons about myself and about running. I still consider myself a newbie, but feel so much more knowledgeable about this sport.
- Friends. You, the people who read this blog, or listen to the podcast, or tweet with me on twitter. You mean a lot to me. All of you have inspired me in one way or another and I can only say thanks, and hope to give you something to be proud of when I run.